Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sculptural Slab Construction.


I got a call from Newport Beach. An interior decorator putting together a home for an overseas client had a specific idea in mind: she wanted two natural-edge, rustic tables to balance a refined interior. 



After an exhausted search for the perfect wood, I decided to work with spalted maple, for its color and rare characteristics. The wood was sourced from a sustainable company out of state. 


The wood on which I decided had large gaps or checks, allowing me to add detail of inlay joinery for a hand made, custom look. In order to keep the integrity of the home's decor, I chose a gloss lacquer for a high end, polished finish.


I really enjoyed the slab construction which creates a final product of a sculptural feel. I plan to continue working in this style.

No comments:

Post a Comment